Chess for Social & Cognitive Skills is like no other summer course as it is extremely hands-on and teacher-centred. Chess is a growing pastime in Irish primary schools with the 350 schools now joined the Ficheall network of teachers promoting chess in primary schools. It is an excellent hobby for students (and teachers) for rainy days and promotes a variety of social and cognitive skills such as respect, forward planning, problem solving, decision making, accepting defeat, understanding resilience and developing a productive disposition to problem solving; all of which are addressed in the free beginner lessons available to participants. Course is approved for 3 EPV Days.
Some testimonials from the 306 teachers who completed the course in 2022:
· “This is the first summer course that I've thoroughly enjoyed!”
· “I loved this course… I can now play Chess!!!”
· “A practical, well run and fun course that provides you with the knowledge and competence to introduce chess to any class setting.”
· “I came to the course as a total beginner! I loved how practical the course was. The week flew and we didn’t miss the time. The course was laid out excellently with short lessons, videos and mini games. I would highly recommend this course.”
· “The most enjoyable summer course I have ever done, I was sad when the week ended”
· “I was a complete nervous beginner at the start of the week, now I am confident enough to play a full game of chess and have fun in the process. Don't be afraid to try something new, I've learned a skill for life.”
· “You are winning with chess: social skills, patience, resilience, teamwork it has it all.”
Teachers will have the opportunity to learn how to play chess by playing chess mini-games against other novice teachers. The course will teach all participants:
· how to play chess (from zero prior knowledge) and the best methods of teaching primary school children as young as first class the rules using a fun, games-based approach
· how to utilise chess as an additional resource in teaching social skills in the mainstream and special education classroom
· how to organise a school chess club, school chess team and in-school chess competitions
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask any questions of the course.
Tutor: Noel O’Connell
Noel graduated with a Grad Dip from Mary I in 2015 and has been working as a primary school teacher since. Noel has been teaching 6th class for the last six years in Scoil Dean Cussen in Bruff, Co. Limerick and has been involved with Ficheall for the last five years. He has always been interested in chess and has found the game to be invaluable as a tool in his classroom from a social and cognitive perspective. Noel has spent the last year as Limerick area coordinator for Ficheall and acted as host for a number of tournaments.
Before you finalise payment for your course, please note the following:
All our summer courses are booked on the condition that the course fee is non-refundable. Course Fees are not transferrable to another teacher. Unfortunately, if you wish to cancel your place on one of our courses or you are unable to attend the course, we are not in a position to refund fees.
In the event that the minimum number of participants required do not apply then the Centre will be obliged to cancel the course, you may be offered a place on another course or given a refund.
If you are not receiving email notifications regarding course bookings etc you may have unsubscribed from transactional emails. Please re-subscribe here Resubscribe and fix my email notifications (You will not be added to any newsletters or marketing.)
Luan go hAoine
8:30am – 4:00pm
Áirithintí lasmuigh de ghnáthuaireanta -
ar fáil ar iarratas
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 4:00pm
Out of hours and Saturday Bookings - Available upon request